Job Type Full time
Location 1455 Quebec Street, Vancouver, BC
Organization Science World
Position: Senior Project Manager
Reports to: Vice President, Corporate Operations & CFO
Science World is a BC-based charitable organization that engages the people of British Columbia in STEAM literacy. Our mission is to ignite wonder and empower dreams through science and nature. All Science World employees embody our values: Curious, Playful, Inclusive, Relevant and Collaborative. We also work with our employees to develop our identified core competencies at all levels of the organization.
We are seeking to hire a seasoned Project Manager to join our team someone who is a passionate self-starter, familiar with a variety of the field’s concepts, practices, and procedures and is able to develop strong working relationships. The successful candidate works well under pressure, is able to juggle different projects, and can focus on details while keeping an eye on the big picture. A wide degree of creativity and latitude is expected.
We are looking for a seasoned project manager who is up to the challenge to create a project management office from scratch and instil project management discipline in our organization. We envision this office as a “centre of excellence” supporting Science World departments, providing them with the standards, methodologies and tools necessary to ensure their projects are successful and bring value to the organization.
The types of projects undertaken by Science World vary, so a “one size fits all” approach will not ensure success – and this is where your experience with a number of methodologies, tool and standards will serve you well. Projects will be aligned with the organization’s strategy and include: IT systems implementation; program and content development; exhibits and facility capital projects; strategy development; implementation of new processes or functions; and delivery of externally-funded projects.
You will provide support and consult with Department staff as projects are framed, planned and underway as well as act as a project repository, gathering lessons learned to share back with the broader organization. There may in fact be projects with significant value and profile you will run to model for others in the organization how it is done.
- Defining a project management methodology, standardizing and consolidating best practices and process across departments to manage and deliver projects.
- Set common project culture through communication and training techniques, methodologies and best practices.
- Ensures the quality and value of each project under their care, using industry best practices, standards and techniques throughout entire project execution.
- Determines and defines project scope and objectives
- Identifies resources needed to reach objectives and manage resources in an effective and efficient manner
- Establishes budget based on scope of work and resources requirements
- Identifies project risk and design risk mitigation plans
- Tracks project resources consumed
- Develops and manages a detailed project schedule and work plan
- Excellent experience with a number of project management methodologies
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, business, or an appropriate field of study is preferred
- 5+ years of project management and related experience is also preferred
- 5+ years of experience working with business stakeholders across a number of departments
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification preferred Strategic thinker and proven analytical and problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated ability to work both in a team as well as independently, with strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong attention to detail. Resourceful and organized; able to manage competing priorities, complex situations and deadlines
- Strong familiarity with project management software tools, methodologies, and best practices
- Experience with MS Project, Excel, Word and Power Point
- Experience seeing projects through the full life cycle according to outlined scope, budget, and timeline
- Strong interpersonal skills and extremely resourceful
- Proven ability to complete projects according to outlined scope, budget, and timeline
- Negotiation skills and the ability to develop strong working relationships
- Commercial and business awareness
- It is conditional on pre-employment at Science World to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19
Do you feel you haven’t met every requirement? Studies have shown that women and people of colour are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification in the job posting.
Science World is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment so we strongly encourage you to apply even if you don’t believe you meet every single qualification outlined, as you may have transferable skills that would be an asset to our team.
It is conditional on pre-employment at Science World to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
Please upload a cover letter and a copy of your resume as part of your application
- All offers are subject to satisfactory completion of reference and police criminal record checks.
We would like to thank all candidates. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted
Please note that this is a re-posting of this opportunity
Candidates who have already applied to the previous posting need not re-submit *
How to Apply
In order to be eligible to apply for this position, you must be registered on BC JobConnect. Learn more about how to register for the BC JobConnect here. If you are interested to apply for the position, send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com before July 13,11:59 PM PT with the following email subject: Senior Project Manager (Science World).