EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT TO THE VICE-PRESIDENT, FINANCE AND ADMINISTRATION
NATURE AND SCOPE OF WORK
This position provides exceptional senior administrative support to the Vice President, Finance and Administration.
The Finance and Administration portfolio is comprised financial services, corporate services, facilities and capital projects, policy, privacy and governance, and information technology, which together, support CapU’s goals and priorities. The portfolio’s team members come from a variety of backgrounds, each with exceptional skillsets that, working together, create a vibrant, fun and energetic atmosphere within which to work and grow.
Reporting directly to the Vice President, the Executive Assistant acts as a communications centre point for the portfolio by working with a variety of internal and external constituents. The position will also have access to the Vice President’s calendar and provide administrative support for scheduling, expense reporting, and meeting and reporting.
As such, this position requires high levels of tact, diplomacy, confidentiality, initiative, organization and judgement.
With limited supervision, this role manages the Vice President’s day-to-day operations and supports activities and projects focused on the portfolio’s short and long term planning goals while ensuring the Vice President’s time and resources are managed efficiently, thoughtfully and in a manner that positively represents their portfolio and the University, as a whole.
Below is a listing of the positions’ duties but in addition to this are numerous opportunities to learn, collaborate, create and have a positive impact on the University, its constituents and communities.
ILLUSTRATIVE EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
The operations and administrative support this position provides is integral to success of the Vice Presidents’ Offices, therefore the following duties are considered first and foremost of importance to the position:
- Supports all activities that fall under the jurisdiction of the Vice-President including daily operational processes that support the portfolio.
- Manages the Vice President’s complex and changing calendars while, adhering to University protocols, prioritizes meetings that adhere to the Vice-President’s and University’s strategic priorities.
- Provides the Vice President with the development, management and administrative support for portfolio, committee, and internal and external meetings. This includes initiating agendas, scheduling meetings, composing and circulating minutes, tracking, monitoring and follow up on action items, next steps and deadlines while escalating delays and issues.
- Assists the Vice President with special projects and/or initiatives that may require research, compiling data and relevant information, consulting with CapU employees, students and/or external partners.
- Prepares reports and presentations on behalf of the Vice President.
- Responds to, and investigates as required, queries and requests for information from a variety of different sources or constituents and partners.
- Initiates, prepares and distributes routine and non-routine correspondence including letters, correspondence, reports and evaluations. Sorts, screens, delegates and handles, as appropriate email telephone enquiries and voice mail. Initiates non-routine letters and replies to correspondence and the inquiries.
- Establishes, maintains and improves records, files and processes in support of effective team operations.
- Provides administrative coverage and assistance, as needed, within the Executive offices and may include attendance and support for the Board of Governors committee meetings. ▪ Performs duties related to the requirement and qualifications of the position. ▪ May be required to take training and act in the capacity of a floor warden as part of the University’s Emergency Preparedness Plan (Fire, WHIMIS, and Earthquake).
Communication and Customer Service
- Acts as a central point of contact between the Vice President and other university departments and units including, but not limited to, the President, Vice-Presidents, Board of Governors and a range of internal and external contacts (such as ministry officials, other post-secondary institutions and international contacts).
- Effectively communicates decisions, directives and important information, following meetings and events, to the appropriate individuals, departments, and units.
- Provides exceptional customer service while being politically sensitive and exercising professionalism and good judgement at all times.
Financial Task Support
- Prepares expense reports and Purchasing Card reconciliations for the Vice President.
- Tracks, monitors and reconciles expenditures and works directly with Financial Services as required. Resolves discrepancies or brings them to the attention of the Vice President.
- Coordinating meetings, visits and information materials.
- Scheduling meetings, preparing materials, creating and distributing meeting minutes for various committees and working groups.
- Under the direction and advisement of the Manager of Policy, Privacy & Governance, responds to Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act requests received by the University.
- Assists with special projects by coordinating information, providing support through data analysis, and contributing to overall strategy.
KNOWLEDGE/SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Proven ability and commitment to demonstrating initiative, with the goal of anticipating needs and providing exceptional support.
- High level of professionalism, good judgement and problem solving with an orientation to outstanding customer service.
- Politically sensitive and able to work effectively with all levels of individuals within the University.
- Extensive knowledge of the functioning of a senior executive office.
- Exceptional administrative support skills including strong attention to detail, the ability to work independently and under pressure, perform well under time constraints and deal effectively with non-routine matters.
- Committed to service excellence, innovation and collaboration in the workplace.
- Ability to act appropriately on behalf of the Vice-President in a variety of situations, to establish and maintain effective working relationships and work collaboratively with other employees, students, government officials, community groups and the general public and to act with cross-cultural sensitivity.
- Ability to multitask, apply a high level of organizational skills to complete projects and meet deadlines with changing priorities.
- Ability to carry out, under general direction, assignments requiring research, organization of material, analysis and evaluation of information and data, and the development of procedures and methods.
- Ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality and handle sensitive information with discretion.
- Ability to produce complete and accurate minutes.
- Accurate word processing skills of 50 wpm.
EDUCATION, TRAINING, EXPERIENCE & COMPETENCIES
- Completion of a Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Seven years of directly related and progressively senior administrative support experience, with experience in project management, accounting or financial management an asset.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered
- Advanced computer skills in Microsoft Office 365 applications including, but not limited to Word, Outlook and Excel. Power Point, One Note and Teams an asset.
- Familiarity with Cisco phone system (scheduling conference calls, setting up directories, etc.) an asset.
- Knowledge of university structure, departments and their functions, administrative policies, procedures, rules and regulations gained through experience in a public post-secondary environment is an asset.
- Service focus.
- Initiating action / taking initiative.
- Productivity and punctuality.
- Accuracy / quality of work output.
- Interpersonal skills and teamwork.
How to Apply
In order to be eligible to apply for this position, you must be registered on BC JobConnect. Learn more about how to register for the BC JobConnect here. If you are interested to apply for the position, send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org before August 26, 2022 with the following email subject: Executive Assistant (Capilano University)