Here at Borrowell, we stand in solidarity with Ukraine. We welcome all people making use of the Canada-Ukraine authorization for emergency travel (CUAET) program to apply and we will get back to you as soon as we can.
Borrowell is a Canadian company dedicated to making financial stability possible for everyone. The first to offer free credit scores, Borrowell provides educational resources, monitoring, innovative digital tools and personalized product recommendations to help people feel in control and optimistic about their financial future. In previous data, members using Borrowell reported up to 100 points increased to their credit score after 1 year with select Borrowell products.
With more than 2 million members and $102 million in funding since 2017, Borrowell is one of the largest fintech companies in Canada. Borrowell has won numerous awards, including being named one of Globe and Mail’s Top Growing Companies, LinkedIn’s Top Startups in Canada, CB Insights’ Top 250 Fintechs, and Best Workplaces in Financial Services & Insurance.
Borrowell places a high value on building a diverse and inclusive workplace and is proud to have a gender-balanced team. Borrowell was named one of the Top 50 Best Workplaces in Canada, as well as one of the Best Workplaces for Women, and Mental Wellness.
About the Role:
As a Full Stack Developer on Borrowell’s Engineering team, you will design, develop, optimize, test, and maintain application code for in-house web and mobile products. You will ensure that software meets both the technical and business requirements that guided its design.
You will be involved in the technical roadmap of upcoming net new products and you will see how your hard work directly impacts the lives of 2 million people using the Borrowell marketplace. Specifically, maintenance of existing products will happen in any role, but this isn’t one of those roles where the majority of your job is maintaining something that was already created. Instead, a large chunk of your time will be spent on working in cross-functional teams (with Product, Engineering, QA, Automation, and others) to experiment, explore, and build new products and functionalities from the ground up.
- Working experience building scalable web applications on the cloud, preferably in microservices architecture. Our back end is .NET 6 on Azure, but we are open to all technical backgrounds
- Demonstrated proficiency with SQL and NoSQL databases
Nice to Have
- Knowledge of Microsoft Azure
Our Engineering Team Values
- We work well as a team and collaborate always!
- We are humble and open to each others’ ideas and opinions
- We are not afraid of making mistakes and we are always learning
- We are persistent about solving problems we are facing
- Change is good and welcomed
- We are always willing to take on new challenges
- We are not afraid to say, “I don’t know,” or, “I need help”
- We take ownership over our platform and the work that we deliver
- We communicate clearly to ensure we collaborate well
- We find the simplest solutions possible for the hardest problems
The Interview Process
We believe in fast, lean, and efficient processes and that trickles into every aspect of our work, including hiring. That means we don’t think you need to jump through 8 hoops to land the role. Interviewing for this role is typically done in 3 steps:
- A phone call with me, your technical recruiter
- A technical coding challenge and discussion that is grounded in being practical, realistic, and open book – we’re trying to understand your skills holistically, not trying to see how much you can memorize algorithms
- A conversation with 1-2 senior leaders
That’s it! After each step, I commit to getting you results within the same week.
- The Opportunity – join and have a major impact at a growing company that is helping make financial stability possible for everybody
- Comprehensive Health Benefits – medical, dental, vision, and paramedical health benefits for you and your family, with extra yearly coverage for psychotherapists and massage therapists
- Additional Health Benefits – virtual benefit offering that allows you to connect 24/7 with nurses, doctors and mental health professionals
- Maternity & Parental Leave Top-up – available to new parents
- Wellness Benefit – $600 annually to spend on whatever brings you joy
- WFH Reimbursement – we ship you gear like a laptop, mouse, keyboard, and you can reimburse additional items to make your workplace better for you
- Employee Development Benefit – annual reimbursements on payments to help your learning
- Givewell Benefit – 1 paid volunteer day a year to give back to the community
- Flexibility – flexible working hours and a flexible vacation policy
We are remote-first across Canada, meaning you have no mandatory obligation to come in-office unless you choose to do so – you decide what is best for you. Our offices are located in Toronto, Kelowna, and Montreal, with teams distributed primarily in Ontario and BC.
At Borrowell, one of our core values and firm beliefs is that diversity makes us better. If you’re unsure about your qualifications for this position, we’d still encourage you to apply. We’re looking for candidates who have experience, but know that not everyone’s had a chance to demonstrate what they can do. What’s most important is that you have a growth mindset and care about helping people with their finances – an area in their lives that causes a lot of stress.
Please note that due to the sensitive nature of the work we do, clearing a credit and criminal record check is a condition of employment.
Borrowell encourages applications from candidates with differing abilities. Please let us know if you require accommodation at any stage in the selection process.
How to Apply
In order to be eligible to apply for this position, you must be registered on BC JobConnect. Learn more about how to register for the BC JobConnect here. If you are interested to apply for the position, send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com before July 16,11:59 PM PT with the following email subject: Full Stack Developer (Borrowell)