Digital Content Writer
NATURE AND SCOPE OF WORK
The digital content writer is an integral position within the marketing & digital experience team. This role is responsible for the editorial maintenance of marketing and promotional content for websites, digital channels, and other marketing platforms. A strong writer and editor devoted to clear, accessible language, this role creates and coordinates daily content updates in a fast-paced environment. The incumbent is a cross-functional team member who works closely with marketing & digital experience colleagues and internal partners to ensure all content is accurate, up-to-date, well-written and user-focused. This position also ensures content supports key institutional and marketing priorities, building the University’s reputation and promoting its online presence.
In addition to editing, writing, and publishing content on university websites, the digital content writer contributes compelling messaging to other channels, such as newsletters, email campaigns, digital storytelling, social media, videos and marketing collateral. With a strong foundation in web writing, brand storytelling and plain language, the incumbent understands the need for clear, accessible, and user-optimized content. The digital content writer reports to the manager, marketing.
ILLUSTRATIVE EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Creates and maintains University web content; coordinating, editing and publishing
updates submitted by units across the University.
• Maintains content for the online events calendar and campus screens.
• Acts as the first point of contact for web updates, ensuring requests are efficiently and
• Researches, writes, edits, updates and evaluates marketing content.
• Proofreads web content and marketing materials, ensuring content is consistent with
University brand standards for style, grammar and tone of voice.
• Acts as a contributor to Capsule, the University’s digital storytelling platform.
• Supports the creation of thoughtful, relevant and inspiring content for current and emerging digital platforms.
• Translates complex ideas and messages into clear, friendly and accessible language.
• Sources and resizes images and graphics for placement on web pages.
• Contributes to efforts to increase website traffic and search engine ranking by applying best practices in content development and search engine optimization.
• Assists marketing & digital experience team members with site audits and content improvements, as needed.
Collaboration & Communication
• Works collaboratively within a high-performing team in coordinating and executing content projects and initiatives.
• Consults with marketing & digital experience team and external service providers to ensure content and strategic alignment.
• Works closely with Communications and other departments to support event promotion and marketing content for email campaigns, landing pages and social media, as required.
• Stays up to date with trends and technologies in content creation and champions for continuous improvement.
• Coordinates multiple tasks in a complex organizational environment.
• Performs other duties related to the qualifications and requirements of the position.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS
• Exceptional writing, editing and proofreading skills.
• Demonstrated ability to write, edit and curate brand-aligned content that meets the needs of a variety of audiences and platforms.
• Knowledge of content management systems, web and print publishing, social media platforms, analytics and tracking tools, database, spreadsheet, and word processing applications.
• A high degree of accuracy in proofreading and fact-checking ability.
• Superior communication skills; able to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
• Ability to work effectively both independently and in a team environment, as well as interact professionally and diplomatically with internal staff and external partners.
• Organized and able to prioritize multiple tasks and work effectively under pressure in order to meet deadlines.
• Working knowledge of publishing, editorial processes, content development and marketing practices.
• Capacity for creativity and research; ability to exercise initiative, resourcefulness and judgment.
REQUIRED TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
• Diploma in marketing, communications, English, journalism, public relations or a related field.
• Two years of experience in digital content development, preferably for a complex multi-level organization.
REQUIRED LICENCES, CERTIFICATES AND REGISTRATIONS
How to Apply
In order to be eligible to apply for this position, you must be registered on BC JobConnect. Learn more about how to register for the BC JobConnect here. If you are interested to apply for the position, send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org before August 29, 2022 with the following email subject: Digital Content Writer (Capilano University)