Demonware is a member of the Activision family of studios. We work alongside engineers and creatives at our AAA partner studios and deliver the online and data services required by our massive franchises. We have launched well over 100 games, and our services connect multiple millions of players each day into epic entertainment experiences.
While Call of Duty continues to push us to build bigger and better systems year on year. We also have a strong history of supporting great franchises such as Tony Hawk, Crash Bandicoot, Destiny, Diablo, Guitar Hero, and Skylanders.
Our success comes for our talented and passionate people. Our work environment is welcoming and collaborative, we deliver on time and at scale.
That sounds amazing, but what kind of impact can I make?
We are looking for a Site Reliability Engineer to join our Social Services team, who are responsible for the systems that allow our players to engage with one another. These systems are large-scale, and need to be very responsive to service the social ecosystem of our games. We are responsible for the entire product, from system development, maintenance, observability, and reliability.
Our players will interact with your work every day, millions of times per day.
No previous work experience in the video game industry is required, however the ability to put yourself in the shoes of our players is essential. This role will have a direct impact on the online services for AAA multiplayer games, including Call of Duty.
Sounds awesome, what will my “day-to-day” look like?
- Maintain and evolve the social platform and it’s various services
- Drive the direction of our operational architecture, taking into account our dedication to maximum reliability for players, and timely responses
- Ensure all components are highly scalable and maintainable
- Own the features, components and tooling being built
- Solving hard problems
- Participating in all stages of development process on a cross-disciplinary team
- Working with very talented engineers from all over the world
Sounds exciting, what would you like to see in my background?
- Relevant work experience including high-volume or critical production service environments
- Experience working at scale – thousands of servers running a high-volume or critical production service environment
- Experience running applications that use MySQL, Cassandra, and/or Redis
- Experience working in a business-critical production environment
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills
- Automation / scripting skills and a desire to automate all the things
- Comfortable with at least one scripting language, e.g. Python or Ruby.
- Solid understanding of fundamental technologies, e.g. TCP/IP, Linux/Unix internals
- Experience with configuration management systems, e.g. Puppet, Ansible, Terraform
- Demonstrable capacity for an investigative approach and keen to learn new technologies
- Ability to analyze requirements and make corresponding design decisions
- Demonstrated excellence in communicating within and across teams
- Ability to complete complex tasks with minimal supervision
- Experience working with public cloud providers and cloud technologies
- Experience working with container orchestration e.g. Kubernetes
- Experience in monitoring and metrics systems, e.g. Nagios, Zabbix, Graphite, Cacti
- Experience with load testing and performance optimization
- Experience with social networks
- A background in Software Engineering
- Experience with game development or game engines
What’s in it for me?
An excellent salary, with annual performance reviews and discretionary bonuses
- 5 weeks of vacation, standard
- Pension matching and contributions
- Top-tier medical, dental, and life insurance coverage
- Flexible working practices, based on the belief that the quality of your work is not dependent on the number of hours sitting behind a desk
- A culture that emphasizes continual learning and improvement, with opportunities for career progression, travel, and a commitment to open source
How to Apply
If you are interested to apply for the position, kindly send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com before May 15, 11:59 PM PT with the following email subject: Site Reliability Engineer (Demonware)