Kamloops, BC, CA
Job Function: Finance Corporate Services and Internal Audit
BCLC’s two offices are located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam Indian Band), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Peoples in Vancouver and the Tk’emlúps te Secwépemc territory, situated within the Secwépemc Nation in Kamloops. We honour and respect the people, the territory, and the land we are part of.
Joining the Finance & Corporate services team at BCLC means you’ll be working with a dedicated group of talented professionals in Corporate Accounting, Financial Planning & Analysis, Procurement, Business Continuity, Facilities, and Business Services.
The financial management of a complex organization including lottery operations, casino & community gaming, and eGaming business units, which collectively took in over $1.4 billion in net income last year falls within this group.
Working with revenues of well over half a billion dollars in fiscal 2019, an increase over the previous fiscal year, approximately 20% of BCLC’s total revenues which represents BCLC’s largest player base, our Lottery finance operations group is responsible for recording the gross gaming wagers and direct costs related to Lottery operations including manually recording lottery transactions, ILC funding and reimbursements, instant game management and more.
As a Crown Corporation that earns more than a billion dollars in annual revenue, BCLC’s commitment to giving funds back to the province is an integral part of our business, but still only one piece of the picture. At BCLC, we exist to generate win-wins for the greater good. We believe everything we do must benefit the well-being of all involved. Through our Social Purpose, we aspire to make sure, in all of our endeavours and transactions and relationships – in the most important sense of life, livelihood, meaning, and well-being – nobody loses, and every person we touch comes out ahead. BCLC is committed to creating a welcoming workplace where everyone feels safe, included, and valued. For us, that means building a team that reflects the diversity of the communities we serve. We all are winners when differences are respected, valued and celebrated.
The Senior Accountant delivers professional services and financial solutions to the organization. This role ensures that policies, programs, services and strategies are conceptualized, developed and implemented. The Senior Accountant will act as a consultative partner by providing expertise, analysis and advice to internal and external stakeholders to BCLC to enable the business to deliver on operational and financial reporting efficiently and effectively.
- Understands, interprets, and explains financial accounting standards, corporate policies, procedures, standards and guidelines;
- Understands and explains the function of key business processes and systems;
- Performs complex analyses and operational reports which may have high-level or external audiences;
- Performs primary and secondary reviews of others’ work;
- Where departmentally appropriate performs/supports master data maintenance on financial operational systems;
- Acts as a subject matter expert;
- Researches, develops, and implements processes, policies, and procedures;
- Provides informal leadership through coaching and mentoring peers and other staff members;
- Proactively develops, maintains, and manages strong working relationships with internal and external stakeholders;
- Writes accounting position papers and standards interpretation memos as required.
Minimum Required Qualifications:
Education and Experience
- An accredited professional accounting designation;
- Minimum five years of progressively responsible accounting experience;
- An equivalent combination of education and/or experience may be considered.
- Advanced knowledge of principles of accounting with the ability to apply them in a practical way;
- Demonstrated ability to build strong and trusting relationships with managers, employees and peers;
- Advanced communication skills, both written and verbal, with the ability to present complex information in an easily understood manner tailoring the communication to diverse audiences to facilitate understanding;
- Exceptional time management and multi-tasking skills with the ability to prioritize tasks and work within established deadlines and time constraints;
- Ability to assist, direct and provide ongoing review, feedback and training on the operational activities of the accountants;
- Demonstrated ability to act on own initiative and exercise professional judgment;
- Ability to work with a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail;
- Proven leadership skills with the ability to be self-motivated, work independently, as well as being part of a team;
- Exceptional interpersonal and motivational skills;
- Excellent problem solving and analytical thinking/innovation;
- Working knowledge of corporate financial systems (SAP, Connect) ;
- Strong computer skills – MS office suite;
- Attention to detail.
In addition to the Key Accountabilities, when working in Accounts Receivable this role:
- Oversees and approves the capture and integrity of financial data;
- Oversees the accurate collection and recording of revenues from retailers and service providers, and provides necessary internal and external reporting;
- Provides analysis, trouble shooting, and resolution of accounting and system issues,
- Provides training, and customer service.
- Provides leadership, coaching, and support to staff.
- Performs other duties as required
- Effective November 22, 2021, BCLC requires all employees to be fully vaccinated (as defined by Health Canada). Full vaccination will be required before commencing employment with BCLC unless a legal exemption is obtained.
- To build a rich diverse workforce representing the communities which we serve, we welcome applications from people of all colours and cultures, persons with diverse abilities, and members of the 2SLGBTQIA+ community.
- BCLC values work life balance and offers remote work options for its employees.
- Relocation assistance is available for successful job candidates.
- If you are in need of accommodation or special assistance at any step of your application, please send an email with your request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For over more than a decade, we have been recognized as one of BC’s Top Employers – and we are constantly seeking ways to improve our employee and player experience. To learn more about BCLC, please visit: https://corporate.bclc.com/
This opportunity will remain open until a qualified candidate pool has been established.
Candidates must be legally entitled to work in Canada and be 19 years of age to work at BCLC.
Job Segment: Accounts Receivable, Corporate Finance, Internal Audit, Accounting, Procurement, Finance, Operations
How to Apply
In order to be eligible to apply for this position, you must be registered on BC JobConnect. Learn more about how to register for the BC JobConnect here. If you are interested to apply for the position, send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com before September 30, 2022 with the following email subject: Senior Accountant (FT, 18 mths) (BCLC).