About Humanity Financial
The Humanity Financial office is located on the unceded territories of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Skwxwú7mesh (Squamish) and səl̓ílwətaʔɬ /Selilwitulh (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations.
We are activist accountants who work exclusively with social purpose organizations and communities that are passionate about making the world a better place. Collectively we fight for something bigger and better – including social justice, environmental sustainability, and economic inclusion.
We are not typical accountants, nor is ours a conventional accounting firm. We work alongside our clients to build robust financial systems and reporting solutions, enabling them to make confident and strategic decisions that result in improved outcomes and deeper impacts. Our clients are heroes, transforming this land to become the most environmentally sustainable, socially just, and economically equitable place on earth
If you are an “activist accountant” yourself – and want to achieve greater impact, we have a wonderful opportunity to step into the role of Client Accounting Services (CAS) – Assistant Manager.
Primary Role Relationships
This role reports into the Client Accounting Services (CAS) Manager.
This role will have a team of Client Relationship Managers (CRM) reporting into them. The CRM is the client’s primary day-to-day contact and fulfills the terms of the client engagement. In general, they perform more complex tasks and act as a Controller or CFO for many client files. They leverage client files by assigning (and reviewing) routine work to a team of Preparers, ensuring the right work is happening at the right level.
The Preparers report into the Support Team Supervisor who is responsible for supporting this team and ensuring that this team produces high quality work. The Support Team Supervisor also reports into the CAS Manager.
Sourcing and developing new business are the responsibility of the Client Success Manager (CSM). The CSM works with both the CAS Manager and CAS Assistant Manager to ensure that the new client and the proposed engagement is appropriate for the firm.
 Please note that the current Chief Knowledge Officer and Co-Founder is acting interim CAS Manager
Role Mandate of CAS Assistant Manager
To develop a portfolio of client accounts that achieves established goals, objectives and key performance indicators while building and supporting a team of engaged and increasingly more capable direct reports.
Salary and benefits
The starting salary range for the Client Accounting Services (CAS) Assistant Manager is between $100,000 to $120,000. In addition to better than market salaries, we offer:
- Excellent employee benefits and perks
- Employer matching Group RSP
- Great office atmosphere/remote work flexibility
- Almost no overtime (we do not do taxes!)
- Generous vacation time
- Great technology
- Great team culture
- Great employee perks
Business objectives: This role is responsible for managing and overseeing a portfolio of client accounts and achieving client profitability and satisfaction objectives along with employee development objectives through the effective assignment of projects/work to team members. Starting with client onboarding, this role works with the client and the Client Relationship Manager (CRM) to ensure that the solutions designed and implemented both delight the client and achieve established engagement objectives.
- Achieves targeted profitability and client KPI objectives for overall portfolio, monitor portfolio performance and implement necessary changes (e.g., improve leverage, adjust scope of engagement, etc.) to ensure optimal portfolio performance.
- Provides recommendations to the Client Success Manager on optimal new business opportunities to pursue based on capability and capacity of the team.
- Ensures that the bookkeeping and accounting solutions designed and implemented achieve engagement objectives and outcomes.
- Assigns the fulfillment work (along with time/effort budgets) to the appropriate Client Relationship Manager and works with the Support Team Supervisor to ensure file is properly leveraged.
- Monitors overall capacity of team, ensuring that there is sufficient capacity (e.g., 25%) capacity to take on new clients.
- Provides recommendations on recruitment efforts so that there is a readily available talent pool supporting organizational growth.
- Provides input and advice to the Client Success Manager on the development and pricing of proposals for highly complex or unusual projects.
- Ensures client service continuity and mitigates risk of service disruption by implementing various strategies including (but not limited to): ensuring adequate employee coverage (backup) on files and ensuring client files are well documented so files can be reassigned as required.
Client experience and service delivery: This role is responsible for the client experience from onboarding to exit, and while this role is not the day-to-day contact for the client, this role ensures that the client is delighted with the service provided.
- Leads the client onboarding experience, with support from the Client Success Manager (and CAS Manager as required) and introduces the Client Relationship Manager into the relationship as the day-to-day contact and the person providing the fulfillment of services.
- Performs fulfilment services (as required) to ensure client projects are achieved on scope, on time and on budget.
- Performs periodic client engagement sessions with Client Success Manager (and CAS Manager, as required) to ensure clients are delighted with Humanity’s service, making changes as required to ensure client satisfaction scores are maintained.
- Addresses and solves client concerns and complaints that are not resolved by the Client Relationship Manager.
Quality Assurance: This role is responsible for ensuring quality of work delivered by their team of direct reports.
- Orients and trains new employees on Humanity’s policies, processes, and practices.
- Orients and trains new employees on Humanity’s standards.
- Monitors and performs periodic audits of their employee’s work to check for quality.
- Provides ongoing coaching to support the ongoing delivery of high-quality work to clients.
Employee development: This role is responsible for building the capacity and capability of their direct reports, supporting their professional development and career progression. The CAS Assistant Manager is a resource and mentor to the team, providing guidance and direction on risks, issues, or problems to ensure solutions delivered to the client achieve intended benefits and meets client expectations.
- Identify skills gap and work with HR to identify appropriate training solutions.
- Provide experiential and “hands on” learning by assigning appropriate levels of work to Client Relationship Managers, ensuring that they are set up for success and the client experience is not compromised.
- Provide regular coaching and mentoring to a team of financial professionals that build their capability and capacity to provide high quality service and advice while achieving established performance objectives.
- Manages performance of direct reports, including the development of annual performance plans and delivering related performance reviews
Business development with existing clients: As this role has a good understanding of a client’s needs and works closely with the Client Relationship Managers to ensure the client is delighted with Humanity’s services, this role is in a strong position to develop new business from existing clients.
- Identify opportunities to deepen relationship and increase scope of profitable engagement with Humanity, securing new business from existing clients.
- Work with the Client Success Manager (and CAS Manager as required) to develop proposals for new business from existing clients.
Our Service Expectations
Client focused: Our service standards are high. All our fans are Raving Fans. You can quickly establish relationships and can sustain relationships for the long-term.
A trusted advisor: Trust is key to everything we do. You know how to build trust quickly and cultivate trust on an ongoing basis. You add value to relationships and are the “go to” person for clients and your team.
Empathetic and compassionate: We bring calm and steady to stressful and confusing situations. You have an ability to listen and communicate with empathy and compassion, see through ambiguous and unusual situations to chart a way forward. Through regular communication, you manage a client’s expectations.
Committed: You know that success is a collective effort and show your commitment to success by rolling up your sleeves to get work done, providing advice and guidance to others and being enthusiastic and positive.
A confident and capable problem solver: You have experience with designing financial systems and related business processes and enjoy designing unique solutions that solve client problems. You are a critical thinker, attentive to detail and capable and confident in your judgement and decision-making skills.
A people leader and team player: You are experienced with building and leading high-performance teams and can achieve results through others while contributing to a positive employee experience. You enjoy working with others and communicate regularly with those you work with.
Outcomes oriented and business savvy: You know how to achieve results and established goals and objectives. You are comfortable leveraging work and are eager to share your business acumen with others to support the achievement of organizational goals.
A continuous learner: You are open-minded and curious, constantly learning and growing, building your capacity to meet evolving client needs.
The Required Experience
People leadership experience: This role is a people leader, focused on building the capacity and capability of the team while supporting a positive employee experience. You are self-aware and know how your behaviour impacts your team and their performance, so you seek continuous improvement.
- You have experience leading and developing high performing and engaged teams.
- You are a skilled communicator, adept at navigating conflict and finding ways of resolving issues.
- You are politically agile, able to work through complex situations in a positive way for your team and the clients.
- You practice situational leadership, adapting your leadership style to ensure the highest probably of success in different situations whether it be in how you work with your team or with clients.
Change leadership experience: You are highly resilient and can lead change among your team and with clients.
- You are not satisfied with mediocrity and are a tinkerer that enjoys looking at ways to improve things.
- You understand that resistance to change is natural, however given your experience leading teams, you are comfortable leading teams through a change cycle and know how to support people, helping to accelerate the speed of adoption, utilization, and proficiency with new solutions.
- You appreciate the idea of “learning through doing” and can connect the dots between previous lessons learned and new situations. This enables you to deal effectively with unique or unusual situations.
Business outcomes experience: You know that activities are not enough, and what really matters are the outcomes achieved. You have had responsibility for achieving business results.
- You are driven to find solutions to tough problems and will approach a problem from many different angles to ensure you achieve the right results.
- You are comfortable with complexity and ambiguity because you love a good challenge.
- You beat the odds. When others think something is not possible, you surprise them by finding a creative way to solve the problem.
Systems thinking: You think about things holistically and understand that while our clients come to us to solve their financial problems, often their financial problems are a symptom of a different issue.
- You can form connections from multiple situations to form useful insights
- You can influence change beyond a client’s financial system and work with people to solve at the root cause.
- You are a Certified Professional Bookkeeper with a minimum of 5 years’ experience with designing and implementing bookkeeping and accounting solutions for business clients.
- You have experience with bookkeeping and accounting experience with charities or Not for Profit organizations
Nice to have:
- CPA designation
The Onboarding Plan
We are estimating roughly an 8–12 month period where you will be “hands on” with various client files so that you become familiar with how we do our work. During this same period of time, you will have an opportunity to build a deep understanding of all of the client files within the portfolio and the team working on these client files. We view this as being critical ingredient in your success, so you have the appropriate knowledge, context, and expertise to be able to coach/develop and lead the team as well ensure a great client experience.
Career Development and Progression
Humanity offers a number of different career pathways and works hard to ensure that individuals are in roles that play to their strengths and passions.
The CAS Assistant Manager can progress into the CAS Manager role or alternatively transition into a Consulting role working directly with clients on highly complex projects. For those who are interested in developing business, opportunities exist within our Business Development team and for those who have a passion for building a firm, our continued growth means that there are opportunities within the Operations team.
How To Apply
If you are interested to apply for the position, please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org before September 30, 11:59 PM PT with the following email subject: Humanity Financial – Client Accounting Services, Assistant Manager.