IEC-BC is pleased to support employer partners registered on BC JobConnect by posting available jobs on our BC JobConnect blog. If you are an employer interested in posting a job in this space, feel free to reach out with relevant details at firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Shearwater Research
Shearwater Research is a privately held, profitable, technology and ISO9001:2015 certified company, which is the world leader in the field of dive computers and rebreather oxygen controllers for serious divers. Based in Richmond, British Columbia, we have dealers in over 70 countries and service centers in Canada, USA, UK, and New Zealand. We take pride in our corporate culture of high energy excellence, with self-managed professionals who thrive in delivering results. We are a fast-growing company with a very bright future and are welcoming team players as we continue to expand our team.
We provide a culture that embraces innovation, passion and performance excellence. We offer professional growth opportunities and a dynamic, informal and engaging workplace. Join our team and enjoy an inspiring environment, where challenging and interesting work is part of daily life. We invite you to check us out at www.shearwater.com
Job description – Production Engineer
As a Production Engineer, you will be responsible for maintaining, improving and keeping production lines operational. You will set up new production lines and workstations and perform regular maintenance and updates on existing stations. You will play a vital role in improving production line workflow, work instructions, training, and efficiency/consistency of the processes. You will be responsible for setting up production-related documentation in ERP system, including creating new items numbers, BOMs, routings, and work centers.
You will be an addition to our team of two Production Engineers and a Senior Production Engineer. You will also work closely with other departments while focusing on quality, productivity, time delivery and efficiency. You will be part of different groups and projects as well as helping production teams to grow as individuals and a successful team.
This position reports directly to the Senior Production Engineer.
Key duties and responsibilities
- Complete time studies with direct production staff and implement improvement ideas to increase the efficiency of bottleneck workstations
- Represent Production Engineering during new product development and introduction (NPI) processes
- Provide manufacturing support for all products after release
- Develop and maintain assembly processes, workflows and layouts, work instructions, work station, custom jigs, PFMEA and TPM for product lines
- Create and maintain new items, BOMs, routings and work centres in NAV ERP system
- Complete and maintain all Production Engineering steps for ECN
- Provide necessary support and information to internal and external Service Centre teams
- Complete and manage any maintenance and calibration on various equipment and stations
- Come up with design, fabricate or purchase new tools, equipment, jigs/fixtures to improve safety, assembly process, workflow, efficiency, etc.
- Run Continuous Improvements (CI) with other departments and members within production
- Establish and maintain 6S principles, together with other Lean Manufacturing tools
- Complete tasks assigned by Joint Occupational Health and Safety Committee
- Answer production-related questions from Direct Staff
- Be an active member at various meetings
Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Engineering or equivalent
- Electronics/Electrical Engineer, Controls Engineer, Process Engineer, Continuous Improvement Engineer, Mechanical Engineer, Manufacturing Engineer
- 2-5 years of related Production Engineering related experience
- 3D CAD software experience (Solidworks or similar), layout sketching (SketchUp)
- Lean manufacturing mindset
- Experience in production and manufacturing companies
- Excellent English communication skills, both written and verbal
- Desire to contribute to organization beyond core requirements
- Effective technical problem solving and project management skills; capable of multi- tasking and moving several different agendas to successful conclusion
- Top-notch interpersonal and teamwork skills with strong innovative orientation
- Proven track record of your experience
- Scuba diving or interest in company sponsored scuba training
These are some of the benefits Shearwater employees enjoy:
- Group RSP with company matching contributions 100% up to an annual maximum of $2,500
- Competitive vacation allowance that increases over time. First-come, first-served for vacation requests
- 5 personal days per calendar year (paid out if not used) and above your vacation allowance (after 3-month probationary period)
- Enhanced Health and Dental medical plan $3,500 for married/$1,750 for single (extremely flexible plan, no co-pay or monthly fee)
- Open-water and advanced diving training covered; including dry suit and possibly more as approved by a manager
- Free dive equipment rentals and air fills, diving training available to all staff
- Possible annual bonuses based on the annual financial performance of the company
- $1000 employee referral bonus
If you are a BC JobConnect-registered jobseeker interested in this position, please send an email to email@example.com indicating your interest as soon as possible, and we will inform you of the relevant application details.