IEC-BC is pleased to support employer partners registered on BC JobConnect by posting available jobs on our BC JobConnect blog. If you are an employer interested in posting a job in this space, feel free to reach out with relevant details at email@example.com.
THE WORLD WANTS MORE CANADA, JOIN US?
Job Grade & Compensation : DC-08D $90,720 – $113,400 (CAD) + Pay for Performance
Language Requirement : Bilingual (French) CCC
Security Clearance Level : Enhanced
Employment Status : Term
End Date (Term Roles): 3/31/24
Destination Canada is looking for a Director, Economic Sector Engagement to join our team.
Reporting to the Senior Director Business Development, Economic Sectors, the incumbent will promote Canada’s knowledge capital and values to attract international business events and support Destination Canada’s business development through deep relationships with the federal government family and developing a national ambassador program. In collaboration with the Stakeholder and Strategy team, the incumbent will work in close collaboration with Global Affairs Canada, Trade Commission Services, and Innovation, Science and Economic Development (ISED) and other key departments and agencies in the Government of Canada on behalf of DC business events team. As the ambassador program lead, the incumbent will connect and collaborate with key opinion leaders across the country (researchers, academics and industry leaders) to increase business event opportunities for Canada and grow economic development through sector-driven experiences.
Join Destination Canada and join a team that is inspiring travellers to explore Canada every day.
The incumbent will work with Innovation, Science and Economic Development (ISED), the broader ISED portfolio of crown corporations and economic development agencies, Research Chairs of Canada, various university networks and Canadian Supercluster leaders in the development of a national ambassador program. In addition, the incumbent will strategically target ISED and other federal family actors to leverage their presence in and knowledge of global markets and sectors to promote Canada for future business events that will fuel trade, investment and talent acquisition. The incumbent supports the Global Sector Strategy and BE efforts within targeted priority sector government departments and leverages ministerial activities along with networks of key opinion leaders across the country.
EDUCATION: Graduation from a recognized university with a Bachelor degree in a related field such as political science, economics, public administration or business administration or an acceptable combination of education, training and experience. A graduate degree is an asset.
EXPERIENCE: When applying, the candidate must clearly demonstrate in writing how they meet the following experience criteria:
- Minimum 5 years experience in an economic portfolio in the Government of Canada, provincial or territorial government or with Privy Council Office or Treasury Board of Canada, or Department of Finance, or
- Minimum of five years of progressive experience in government relations/public affairs, relations with the Government of Canada is an asset.
- Minimum two years’ experience within the last five years of working within integrated teams or cross-functional work groups, including expertise and coordinating perspectives from both the private and public sectors.
- Experience in the tourism and/or meetings industry is an asset.
- Understanding of Destination Canada’s mandate, activities, objectives, and shareholder relations practices (considered an asset).
- In-depth knowledge of federal machinery of government.
- In-depth knowledge of the workings of Parliament and its Committees.
- Understanding of the intricacies of federal government inter-ministerial relationships and key staff within each ministry.
- Knowledge of the Meetings, Conventions and Incentive Travel industry is an asset
- Knowledge of Economic Development concepts is an asset
- Self-starter with demonstrated ability to work remotely or with a dynamic team.
- Adaptability, discretion, tact and good judgment coupled with the ability to prioritize.
- Excellent written skills for both conceptual and detailed material communication. Ability to prepare briefing notes, meeting notes and coordinate logistics. Established ability to liaise with senior government staff, conveying strategic information and providing recommendations to management on strategy and government relations issues.
- Proven public speaking skills
- Excellent project management, research and coordination skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with a focus on establishing and maintaining shareholder relationships.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- High level of motivation and the ability to think creatively in a forward planning way (i.e., 12 months to 3 years)
- Political acumen imperative
- This role is considered bilingual essential with CCC competencies required in French and English
PERSONAL SUITABILITY: Effective interpersonal relationships; creativity; judgment; results-oriented; discretion; confidentiality; diplomacy; detail-oriented.
ENTITLEMENT TO WORK: You must certify in your application that you are legally entitled to work in Canada or have the ability to obtain the necessary approvals to work in Canada. Destination Canada reserves the right to require that you provide proof of your legal entitlement to work in Canada at any time.
Please note that Destination Canada will not be providing relocation assistance.
NOTE: You must be able to provide proof of your education credentials if requested. When applying, candidates must clearly demonstrate in writing that they meet the above-mentioned education and experience criteria.
Destination Canada’s mission is to influence supply and build demand for the benefit of locals, communities and visitors through leading research, alignment with public and private sectors, and marketing Canada nationally and abroad.
Destination Canada is a Crown corporation wholly owned by the Government of Canada and formed under the Canadian Tourism Commission Act. We thrive on team calls across the country and around the world, connecting and collaborating across multiple industries and government levels to promote Canada as a premier four-season destination. The world is our playing field. It is a competitive one and, by pulling together, we hope to create unique and rewarding experiences for our staff, visitors and our tourism economy.
At Destination Canada, we believe that people who think like us, and people who don’t, make the best teammates. We believe that Canada’s diversity, its greatest asset, is also what touches travellers’ hearts most deeply. To that end, we are committed to inclusive leadership within our workforce, workplace, and interactions with partners and travellers alike.
Destination Canada is an equal opportunity employer committed to reflecting Canada’s diversity through fair and accessible hiring and employment practices. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment.
Our workplace is bilingual with communications, resources and services provided in both of Canada’s official languages. Persons are entitled to participate in the appointment process in the official language of their choice. Candidates are asked to indicate their first official language and their preferred official language in their application. Interviews are primarily conducted in the language of work.
Closing Date: 3/7/21 Closing Time:11:59 PM (PST)
If you are a BC JobConnect-registered jobseeker interested in any of the following positions, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating your interest as soon as possible, and we will inform you of the relevant application details.